Just like a hipsters love skinny jeans, mustaches, and overpriced coffee drinks, entrepreneurs have their own set of things they cling to. These days, it's hard to meet a young entrepreneur who doesn't list “meditation” as one of his habits. And older entrepreneurs, whether they call it “meditation” or something else, like prayer, reflection, or journaling, have their own versions of this “quiet time.”
Dan Harris is a correspondent for ABC News, an anchor for Nightline, and co-anchor for the weekend edition of Good Morning America. He's got a book on meditation called 10% Happier: How I Tamed the Voice in My Head, Reduced Stress Without Losing My Edge, and Found Self-Help That Actually Works.
I'm not normally into books like this, but it was recommended to be by a friend as well as my wife, so I decided to take the punt…
Is meditation overhyped?
Will meditation help you to have a more successful business?
Is meditation right for you?
On this episode of RED Podcast, I talk about my experience with meditation, review 10% Happier, and ask the question, “Can meditation really help entrepreneurs?”
In This Episode:
- Lessons from the Dog Chiropractor
- Hippie on a plane — hope he doesn't sit by me…
- People Magazine — how one small article changed my life
- How I ended on in “The Cult”
- What you need to know about driving a Ferrari
- An honest description of “meditation” and what it can do for you
- Why you should read 10% Happier even if you have no desire to learn about meditation
- Ted Haggard — more than just a right wing preacher who had a thing for crystal meth and gay hookers
- Are meditators liars? Sometimes…
- The real “walking dead” (and how not to become one of them)
- Where ideas for podcasts, books, and ways to make money come from…
- How to make sure you don't miss opportunities in business (or in life)
- A cure for FOMO? Sometimes…
Links To Things I Talk About:
- 10% Happier: How I Tamed the Voice in My Head, Reduced Stress Without Losing My Edge, and Found Self-Help That Actually Works… (Get the audio book free with Audible trial.)
- Jon Acuff
- Do Over: Rescue Monday, Reinvent Your Work, and Never Get Stuck (Get the audio book free with Audible trial.)
- 5 Marketing Lessons from a Dog Chiropractor
Help Your Entrepreneur Friends Never Miss Another Business Opportunity…
If you like RED Podcast, I'd appreciate you telling a friend (maybe even two). And if you really like RED, a review on Apple Podcasts would be great too.