I got the voice mail a couple of days ago. It was a strange, computerized voice telling me I was in trouble for not paying taxes and it was my last shot to get things resolved without going to court (or being arrested).
I knew it was a scam, but I was curious… I called back and here is what happened.
I wanted to know more about how this business operates, so I kept calling different call centers until I found somebody willing to give me the inside scoop. This episode contains a recording of that conversation. It explains the business behind the “IRS Phone Scam” and what you can learn from it to apply to your business.
In This Episode:
- How electronic payments people make to the call center get converted to cash
- Who owns the call center?
- The “Dealer” and how he works
- Does the “IRS Scam” have a good conversion rate?
- How call centers involved in this business get leads
- What the inside of a call center looks like
- The reason why some people in the call center are working there
- How much money can you make working in an illegal call center? (HINT: Not much.)
- What call center workers do when they run out of phone numbers…
- “Scam Training” — what it looks like
- Where fake names call center workers come from
- What US politicians and illegal call centers have in common
- The easiest way to get people to take action (but not necessarily the best way)
Links To Things I Talk About:
- Clash Royale
- Phone Scams Continue to be a Serious Threat
- If you believe you’ve been a victim of an IRS Impersonation Scam, report the call here.
Help Your Entrepreneur Friends Make Money The Honest Way…
If you like RED Podcast, I’d appreciate you telling a friend (maybe even two). And if you really like RED, a review on iTunes would be great too.