You've seen video of Derek Sivers' TED talks. And you may have read his book that Seth Godin published, Anything You Want.
In this episode of RED Podcast, Derek joins me to talk about building a great company, knowing when it's time to let that company go, and reinventing yourself…
In This Episode:
- Why Derek's never had a job…
- How he dominated the “musician” niche
- The reason his company had no competition (and how your company can do the same)
- Going from working in the business to working on the business
- The “delegation trap” (and how to avoid it)
- How to solve your problems (instead of running from them)
- Too many questions from employees? Try this trick…
- A counterintuitive way to train your employees
- What to do if a customer wants his money back
- The “employee manual” and how to create one
- Building a company philosophy and positive culture
- How to really improve things in your business
- When to walk away…
- The short but powerful push Derek got from Seth Godin
- That feeling when you know you need a major change in your life… (and what to do about it)
- When you sell your company, this is the one thing you never want to do. Never.
- Derek's biggest fear about selling CD Baby
- The difference between “creative” people and “tech” people
- What happens when you just focus on business (it's not what you think)
- Garth Brooks' secret to success
- The separation of business and personal lives
- Derek's career fantasy (and what he'll never do for work)
- What money actually does
- Two ways to get rich (one is easier than the other)
- Why Derek doesn't have a TV (or an iPhone)
- A career lesson from Tarzan
Links To Things We Talk About:
- Wood Egg
- Derek Sivers' Projects
- Derek Sivers' Book Recommendations
- Anything You Want (Get the audio book free with Audible trial.)
Get The RED Podcast App – It's FREE!
Help Your Friends Reinvent Themselves…
If you like RED Podcast, we'd appreciate you telling a friend (maybe even two). And if you really like RED Podcast, subscribe via Apple Podcasts and you'll never miss an episode.
It's Time To Grow Your Podcast...
Let me help you.
Give me your best email address and I'll send you my "Audience Attraction Cheat Sheet" with 25 episode templates proven to attract new (and loyal) listeners...